Thursday, January 31, 2013

2:30 am. It has been ten days since my surgery.  Things did not go according to plan for surgery. Rather than the two step surgery with an ostomy for three months before the J pouch was ready, I have my j pouch already. My surgeon, Dr. Ryan Figg, encountered far too much endometriosis and the small bowel would not stretch far enough to do both the J pouch and the ostomy.
There were several set backs in the hospital. My surgery took nearly 5 hours and I had terrible back pain coming out of surgery. I had a small bowel obstruction that required an NG tube, a tube down my nose and throat to suction the obstruction out. This also meant nothing to eat or drink for several days.
Finally, my bowels began to move!  The tube came out and I was slowly advanced from clear liquids to a soft diet. I tried my best to stay positive, but it wasn't always easy.  Now I am home to my Mom's to further adjust and recover.
Tonight I have had some sleep, but have had some problems staying that way.  It's gross, but now a fact of life that I suffer from "leakages" at night.  It's annoying and I hope it goes away.  It makes it difficult for me to sleep.
My Mom, my sister Laura and her spouse Norma, have just been amazing through out this hospital stay. Laura took me to the hospital, with Mom. Norma picked me up and brought me home. They visited with me throughout and brought me flowers, magazines and word searches to brighten my day. Laura brought me dry shampoo, that really made my hair feel better. She also brought me a cd player and a book on cd as well as a mix'tape' and that really helped several times to zone out and feel un-hospitale!

No comments:

Post a Comment